I totally agree watso.In addition to your personal experiences,...

1. 22,007 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 769
    I totally agree watso.

In addition to your personal experiences, I had two stints of living/working in the States;
    1st in NY and later in Seattle with a 3 month around the USA in a camper van in between,
    and from those experiences I can tell you that the America I encountered was nothing
    like the America being pedalled overseas.

Hollywood has a lot to answer for, IMO.

It had a nasty materialistic undertow so that if one fell over in the street the first contact
    would likely be to have your wallet & watch nicked and if you were wearing runners, then you could
    kiss your ass goodbye to them too.

That said there was great comradery if you turned up with the flash getup, the Timex Oyster
    Watch and the Caddy, then you could be forgiven for thinking that you were 'in like Flynn"
    but of course even blind Freddy could see that it was all fake.........just I, me & mine
    Even the conversations could not avoid "I, me or mine" for a sentence.

I remember giving my spare wheel to an American who was stranded outside Tampa
    because he had a blowout and no spare and he just couldn't understand that someone
    would "lay" a spare wheel on him for free, man.....someone that he had never seen before.

America is a different culture to Aus and unfortunately we're edging that way because
    of our social alienation and reliance on social media which is dominated by Americans,
    Americanisms & American values.

Just listen to some of the American ass-lickers on these threads...eh?

When I return to Aus I always feel like Alice in Wonderland getting out of an Aluminium
    Tube and entering into a truely enchanting world. I'm home.

It would be a tragedy to balls it up!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.