I am paraphrasing things here to avoid endless arguments with...

1. 3,062 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 115
    I am paraphrasing things here to avoid endless arguments with the ignorant, so am not going to get technical.
    One thing to remember is that batteries do not make power. It needs to come from somewhere else.
    Another is that while solar panels are charging storage batteries they are not charging cars batteries.
    That means that you need twice as many panels as you think you do.
    Putting power into batteries from solar cells costs energy.
    When you take energy from batteries and put into cars it costs energy again this means you need more solar panels again than what you imagine, to make up for the loss involved.
    Then you need to allow for the fact that the sun doesn't shine all day every day so you need even more panels again.
    And then people want to charge their cars at night as well so you need even more panels and more storage batteries.
    Electric cars can flatten their batteries in about 4-5 hrs. It takes 8-10 hrs to charge them up. The sun doesnt shine at its maximum intensity for 8-10 hrs per day so you need more than one day...... if the sun is shining..... Have we talked about clouds yet.....
    You can use super chargers to reduce that time, that then reduces the life of the batteries....and increases again the number of solar panels you need ......It just goes on and on.
    The foot print of a service station is a piss in the ocean compared to the area you need to charge dozens or hundreds of cars per day.

Another comparison in laymen's term I can make is the big batteries they are installing at the moment to cover their r ses when the power grid gives trouble. They cost hundreds of millions of dollars to install and they last just a few minutes.
    To power a city it would take more than you could ever imagine. 48 times half an hour. Who is going to finance all this... You are of course.
    I have lived off grid for 30 years, so believe me, I know exactly how much effort goes into generating enough power to run a home without too many compromises, sunny days or cloudy days, day in day out, week in week out, year in year out and I have never had a power failure, unlike half of the country recently.
    Don't believe the main stream figures you read. Remember the ev companies are trying to sell cars, and politicians are trying to buy votes.
    You know, politicians like the not so prime minister who told us the we were going to install solar panels so we could charge our cars at night....rolleyes.png.... they walk among us, and, they want us to believe that they can lead the country.... well... into oblivion obviously.
    No one gives a damn about you... except me apparently.
    Don't get me wrong, evs will eventually become viable and you will know when this has happened because most of the power you need for day to day requirements will be generated by the car itself.
    Until then be very very wary because you will be the one paying for the new ev system, and don't forget that roughly with losses, the whole power grid will need to need to be tripled in capacity to cope with the evs and we haven't even talked about the trucks.
    That of courses means tripling of your power bill to pay for it..... Best of luck.
    Last edited by lucky 992: 01/07/22

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.