RFX 4.55% 11.5¢ redflow limited

The competiton Fluidic Energy, page-2

1. 411 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 100
    See ARPA-A publication

"If successful, Fluidic's Zinc-air battery could last up to 5,000 charge and discharge cycles and would enable a grid-scale energy storage solution with the capacity to support the use of renewable power."

and

"Innovation Update:
    (As of May 2016)
    In partnership with Arizona State University (ASU), Fluidic Energy has overcome the challenges of degradation and limited charge cycles and developed a rechargeable Zinc-air (Zn-air) battery. Since its ARPA-E award, Fluidic has continued development of its commercial product and has raised approximately $150M in private sector funding. The company has established its first markets in cell phone tower backup systems for developing regions, where reliable power delivery is essential. Fluidic is now working to transition its technology to broader rural electrification and microgrid applications. As of January 2016, Fluidic has installed more than 50,000 Zn-air battery cells, primarily in South East Asia and Latin America, reducing customer’s operating costs while increasing reliability. In January 2016, Fluidic was recognized as one of the top 100 private firms positioned to solve tomorrow’s global clean technology challenges with a 2015 Global Cleantech award.

In partnership with ASU, the Fluidic team developed a metal-air battery that overcomes traditional challenges such as being prone to degradation and typical historical inability to charge and recharge over a large number of cycles. The ASU-Fluidic team approached their battery design using an electrolyte based on ionic liquids, which are salts that are liquid at the battery operating temperature, delivering ionic conductance while maintaining substantial electrical insulation. The team developed chemistries that have negligible evaporation, are stable in the presence of oxygen, and do not absorb water over the cell operating voltages. A key challenge in optimizing the battery performance was developing stringent control of operating parameters, such as rates of charge/discharge and depth of discharge, at the level of individual cells and modules. Under ARPA-E support, Fluidic developed a prototype commercializable battery module, including the preliminary development of an advanced control system and integration of continuing improvements in the system of electrodes and electrolytes, targeting kW-level power applications with delivery over 4-72 hours."

I also read on a certain press release they have a 5 year warranty on the batteries. Which given the likely 5,000 cycles limit is being rather conservative. Also specifics on the characteristics of the battery look to be rather thin on the ground online, and normally I'm good at digging out details... Given the 2010 date of the publication I quoted (which was later updated) - this could mean a whole lot of Zinc-Air batteries are coming to the end of their life...

Also the micro grid stuff in developing countries I take with a large pinch of salt; the operational realities make it really hard to end up with something reliable enough to be useful. Typically they work fine for a number of months, then fail, something shorts or gets eaten through, pulled out, stolen etc. I remember a charity I helped who just wanted a diesel generator to allow them to teach English in the evening and run a few laptops; at every site they taught at was a failed micro grid..

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add RFX (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
11.5¢
Change
0.005(4.55%)
Mkt cap ! $30.39M
Open High Low Value Volume
11.5¢ 11.5¢ 11.0¢ $19.26K 169.1K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 16292 11.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
11.5¢ 68449 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 12/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
RFX (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.