MCS 0.00% 2.5¢ mcaleese limited

I have been doing a little research on the banking covenant side...

1. 17,360 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1340
    I have been doing a little research on the banking covenant side of things & would welcome some help / commentary / ideas.

The below is from slide 15 of the HY Results presentation released 24-Feb & is fairly informative as they provide details about the specific banking covenants & the actual achieved ratios (along with the Net Debt Figure used - 175.5m)

During the 6 months to 31 December 2014;
    • Net debt reduced to $175.5 million
    • Leverage ratio reduced to 2.33x following asset sales and solid underlying cash flows during the period and is expected to be further improved at 30 June 2015
    • McAleese Group remains in compliance with all of its banking covenants

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
    0 Financial undertakings
    31 Dec 14
    MCS target range
    Banking Covenants
    1 Net debt/ EBITDA
    2.33x (i)
    1.75 - 2.25x
    < 2.75x
    2 Interest cover
    5.5x
    > 5.0x
    > 3.0x
    3 Gearing ratio
    31.9%
    < 45%
    < 55.0%
    4 (i) Banking covenants are calculated biannually and continue to reflect weak trading and EBITDA in the Jan – Mar quarter 2014

Now - the release today highlights the following:
    - 30 June Net Debt expected to be $160m-$165m (including a $10m bulk reduction from an asset sales which should occur "on or before 30 June 2015")
    - EBITDA is expected to be $70m

The Net Debt/EBITDA covenant is interesting here as on these numbers, it spits out at 2.36x (165m / 70m). However, if the asset sales do not eventuate & I have my doubts given their wording, the ratio becomes 2.5x (175m/70m).

The covenant is breached if EBITDA drops below 63.63m (175m / 63.63 = 2.75x).

That does not leave a lot of room for error with their forecast of revised EBITDA & also to remain within their covenants. From what I have seen, typically company's revise down earnings more than once as their earnings picture becomes clearer.

Interest Coverage also becomes interesting, especially if they increase their Interest Expense due to a reduction in cash receipts. From the same presentation, they had paid $9.1m in Interest Expense (1H - so $18.2m annually) & they are saying their IC ratio was received at 5.5x which implies an earnings figure of $50m (1H - EBITDA of 49.5m - so ok due to rounding). For the IC covenant to be ok, EBITDA needs to remain above 54.6m annually (Covenant is 3x - 54.6 / 18.2 = 3)

I would like to invest in this stock, however need to tick off the following items in my mind & would welcome commentary / help:
    - How achievable is the $70m EBITDA Guidance?
    - What are the chances of a further earnings downgrade?
    - How easy would it be to change the covenant levels?
    - If the covenants were to be breached, what would the bank do? (Would that be all she wrote, or would they carry the business?)

Thanks in advanced!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MCS (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.