Hi YungBlud,My understanding is that, in Victoria and NSW at...

1. 3,910 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 30
    Hi YungBlud,

My understanding is that, in Victoria and NSW at least, the goal has been strong suppression until vaccination of the majority of the population. Buy time so that the population can be vaccinated, and reduce hospitalisations & deaths to an acceptable level.

The goal of this strategy was to make sure 30k-40k+ unvaccinated people didn't die, and more didn't or become seriously ill. You'd also then have had hundreds of non-COVID people die due to a collapsed health care system. None of this is a guess, it happened all across the USA & Europe.

IMO this was the right strategy. IMO it's OK to ask for the wider population for time to develop a health response for a virus with an IFR of 0.5-0.75% and hospitalisation rates of 7-10%. That makes sense to me. I live in a society, I'm happy to go along with some short term controls to give time for protections for mostly older and vulnerable cohorts to be put in place. It seems a responsible course of action. Now those prections have for the most part been put in place, it's time to begin re-opening.

It was then up to Government to ensure enough protections were in place to allow businesses to make it through until re-opening. If that hasn't occurred for many businesses, it's the Government financial support packages have failed, not the health policy related to COVID.

Cheers!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.