the day democracy died ... , page-165

1. 18,403 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 182
    Hi

What a dramatic headline! I had a good look when I went to the city this morning; there are no riots in the streets, no police arresting anyone, no soldiers shooting at civilians! - what are you saying! - please be moderate!

I remember when first coming to Australia I was told a number of times that Australia is really a Labor country with a conservative government, because of the way the electorates are divvied up. Menzies was prime minister then, and I didn't think much about politics and thought it was a country well run, but once I became a citizen became a Labor voter, and wasn't always happy with my choice, but have also given my vote to Howard the first time round. He quickly became a man out of his time IMO, hence the loss.

Today, I am sad that Labor got in, because my interests are different and I know the business world will react negatively - maybe loans will be more difficult to get, share market is down; I am in the sharemarket - hence self-interest is at work here for me personally. I am prepared to give the Independents a chance to partake in Government - everyone grows into a job that's demanding over time, they will, too.

Possibly we'll end up with a Government which doesn't get a lot of things done - but it is a government on notice and I believe they will try very hard to be impartial. I hope they'll rethink the mining tax.

Stop the fear-mongering and biblical howling and gnashing of teeth, please, it is counter-productive and ungracious! The world is facing much more difficult problems!

Cheers

Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.