The decline of civility

1. 16,483 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 137
    It worries me.
    We see it most spectacularly in American politics and media and especially among celebrities seeking attention.
    There seems to be no depth now to which the participants will not sink. I'm seeing in print and media now things which I only heard in pub male only bars when I was young or among some musician friends.

Maybe the same kind of expressions can be heard in Hindi or Urdu or Arabic or Russian - I don't know. All I do know, or suspect, is that it can't be an influence for the better among "English-speaking children, probably from about the age of 7-8 onwards.
    "But Jimmy's mum says it"
    "Well she shouldn't and we don't"
    isn't going to cut any ice with the kids when they witness it, even if it's bleeped out, on their tv or device.

Why has civility so disintegrated?
    I don't know. And of course it isn't yet an uncontrollable epidemic but it's not far off.
    Some people will say Trump started it but that's rubbish . I heard him campaigning and sure he said a few things like "lying Ted" and "crooked Hillary" but he didn't inaugurate the tsunami of bleepable garbage that flies around the American media every day.

I find it deeply dusturbing and I'm sure I'm not alone.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.