PLS 7.87% $2.88 pilbara minerals limited

You're over-simplifying the issue of battery chemistry.Yes, CATL...

1. 445 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1986
    You're over-simplifying the issue of battery chemistry.

Yes, CATL is now providing Tesla with their new M3P battery, but Tesla actually utilizes SEVERAL battery types, and won't be changing them out quickly, because their supply chain, from their own batteries to the batteries they purchase, is far too large and required far too much investment. Suddenly changing that supply chain would be a bit like turning an aircraft carrier.

For instance, in the Model Y, they use FIVE different types of batteries, including the 1865 and 2170, which are both NCA, an NCM version of the 2170, LFP (multiple configurations; I don't know all the LFP battery type numbers) and their own 4680 battery, which is an 811 NCM but is switching the 955 NCM. Likewise, the Model 3 utilized four types (all but the 4680) types of chemistry. The new M3P batteries will be the fifth type of chemistry in Model 3 batteries.

The following link will take you to a pretty informative site concerning EVs (this link takes you specifically to the types of batteries utilized in Teslas):

https://www.findmyelectric.com/blog/what-kind-of-battery-does-my-tesla-have/

One model not shown on the graph in the above link is the Cybertruck. It uses Tesla's 4680 (NCM) battery.

With regards to a related but different discussion I thought I saw you involved in (who would want Hydroxide when LFP is the new standard, and uses Carbonate?; if that wasn't you, apologies), one can start with Tesla's own Texas gigafactory. The only battery they manufacture there is the 4680, which uses NCM chemistry. As if that isn't enough, don't forget that Tesla is more than $300M into building a refinery in Robstown, Texas, for the specific purpose of producing LiOH for the 4680 batteries they manufacture at their Austin (Texas) gigafactory.

As a final note on the value of LiOH, the Model Y built in Germany also uses NCM chemistry, as do SOME of the Model 3s and Model Ys built in China. Again, all of that is only Tesla.

Best regards

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PLS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$2.88
Change
0.210(7.87%)
Mkt cap ! $8.672B
Open High Low Value Volume
$2.76 $2.88 $2.74 $151.4M 53.48M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 8000 $2.87

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$2.89 377420 16
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 12/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
PLS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.