PLS 0.69% $2.87 pilbara minerals limited

I appreciate that you are trying to make EVs and Lithium...

1. 392 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1826
    I appreciate that you are trying to make EVs and Lithium batteries look bad, generally, but what you have actually done, to those who understand the subject, is prove a point.

The reason BYD is having so many problems with faulty batteries, including fires, is because of the quality, or lack thereof, of their lithium. BYD is one of the firms that is vertically integrated, and they are using not only their own poor quality lepidolite but also CATL's lepidolite and Zimbabwe lepidolite and spodumene. Unless you spend an egregious amount of money in the refining process, you cannot remove all of the impurities from your feedstock while making Carbonate or Hydroxide.

This issue is PRECISELY why smart firms are going to want to source their feedstock from a firm like PLS (or LTR, which, fair disclosure, I also own). The fewer impurities in the feedstock, the fewer impurities in the refined product that actually goes into the battery.

To be a bit "future-looking" on this line of thought, once solid state batteries come online, dendritic infiltration, one of the banes of solid state technology and the biggest reason they're not already in cars you can purchase, is usually caused by impurities. When solid state batteries become a regular component of the EV market, the issue of impurities will be an even bigger issue than they are now. The effect of impurities in solid state batteries probably won't be as catastrophic, burning down showrooms or carparks, but it will result in more battery failures.

Best regards, all!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PLS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$2.87
Change
-0.020(0.69%)
Mkt cap ! $8.638B
Open High Low Value Volume
$2.79 $2.92 $2.78 $84.74M 29.64M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 173645 $2.87

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$2.88 30000 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 25/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
PLS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.