Friday, September 21, 2007 The Wile E. Coyote Moment?Is This the...

1. 5,236 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 35
    Friday, September 21, 2007 The Wile E. Coyote Moment?

Is This the Wile E. Coyote Moment?, by Paul Krugman: Lots of buzz suddenly about the possibility of a sharp fall in the dollar. The Canadian dollar is back at parity with the greenback; there are rumors that the Saudis are planning to diversify into euros, and maybe even that the Chinese might break the dollar peg. A nice summary at Barry Ritholtz's blog The Big Picture.

I could say that I saw this coming; the problem is that I've been seeing it coming for several years, and it keeps not arriving (and I don't know if this is really it, even now.) The argument I and others have made is that the U.S. trade deficit is, fundamentally, not sustainable in the long run, which means that sooner or later the dollar has to decline a lot. But international investors have been buying U.S. bonds at real interest rates barely higher than those offered in euros or yen - in effect, they've been betting that the dollar won't ever decline.

So, according to the story, one of these days there will be a Wile E. Coyote moment for the dollar: the moment when the cartoon character, who has run off a cliff, looks down and realizes that he's standing on thin air - and plunges. In this case, investors suddenly realize that Stein's Law applies - "If something cannot go on forever, it will stop"

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.