the "self" thought is manufactured in the process of "becoming"...

1. 37,911 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 828
    the "self" thought is manufactured in the process of "becoming"

there are two basic self thoughts: "I" and "mine/my"

the "I" thought is the most subtle

the "mine" or "my" thought (which appropriates or takes possession of things) is the most gross

for example, a mind that has an existential crisis, asks the question: "Who am I?". this is subtle

where as the boofhead mind takes everything to belong to itself is generally very coarse/gross: Example: "Australia is my country. How dear those boat people come to my country!"

marriage is a good example of "self-becoming"

once upon a time, two people were complete strangers. then thru a series of events, they become "my husband" & "my wife" and develop all kinds of possessive thoughts about eachother, even though their "ownership" of eachother has no real basis in reality

like I remember when I was 5 years old & achieved 1st in the class in kindergarten. I had an argument with another kid saying: "I am smarter than you"

however, before I went to school, I had no idea about being smart, let alone "I am smart"

worse, that my brain was smart was unrelated to anything I did. it was mere natural genetics or something like that

so to assert "I am smart" was actually ignorance because it was simply that individual brain that was smart

1st there was the smart brain and 2nd the mind took ownership of that brain, believing the brain was "I am"

but when that same brain gets old, the silly mind will think: "I cannot remember things anymore, I am not smart anymore"

the "I am" always adds itself to some other thing

it is very difficult, if not impossible, to find an independent "I am"

the Hindu yogis strive for a sense of pure consciousness but when pure consciousness is achieved they call it the "I AM"

imo, pure consciousness, like pure light, has no name or label

"I am" is just a label since pure consciousness can exist without it

regards

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.