the difference between liberal & labor

1. 2,088 Posts.
    A young woman was about to finisher her first year of university. Like so many others her age, she considered herself very Labor minded. She was very much in favour of higher taxes to support more government programs: in other words, redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed her father was a rather staunch blue-ribbon Liberal, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures she attended and occasional chat with a professor, she considered her father had for years harboured an evil and selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

The student challenged her father on his position to higher taxes on the rich and a need for more government programs. Self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth, as she indicated to her father.

He responded by asking how she was doing at university. Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily how she had a 90% average. She complained it was tough to maintain, insisting she had a very difficult course load so she was constantly studying. She had no time to go out or party like other uni people she knew. There was no time for a boyfriend; she had few university friends all because of the time spent studying.

Her father listened then asked: "How is your friend Audrey doing?" She replied quite snappily: "Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies and she barely has a 50% average! She is so popular on campus ? university is blast for her. She's always invited to all the parties, so most of the time she doesn't show up for her classes because she is too hung over!"

The wise father asked his daughter: "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct 20% off your 90% average so you can give it to your friend who only has 50%? That way you will both have a 70% average. It certainly would be fair and equal."

His daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back: "That's a crazy idea! How would that be fair? I've worked really hard for my grades. I've invested a lot of time and a lot of hard work. Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played whilst I worked my tail off!"

Her father slowly smiled, winked and said gently: "Welcome to the Liberal side of the fence".

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.