The Doctor Who Beat The British General Medical Council 1, page-112

1. 30,924 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 174
    My mate brought me some of the lantana that the cow had been eating, flowers and leaves. I put them in a food mixer with a 50:50 mix of reverse osmosis, cold, boiled water and metho (which is c. 96% ethanol, 4% methanol). As an aside, it seems to be the O-H part which is the active carrier of whatever it is, the ethanol/water mix will extract as much as possible from the lantana - two solvents.

Liquidise for 10 minutes.

Let it stand for 20 minutes. I'd rather have left it overnight, but the cow didn't have that long.

Take one drop of the liquid, and add it to a small plastic phial with 99 drops of water/alcohol mix. Slam the phial twice against the counter top. That made the first centesimal dilution - 1c.

As another short cut, and because I didn't have another 29 phials, I emptied the phial down the drain and added another 99 drops (or rather, filled it up to the marked level of the first 99 drops) and succussed twice. The liquid left on the sides of the phial after it has been emptied is roughly one drop, so that gives another one drop to 99, the second centesimal solution - 2c.

And so on up until 30c. Took about 20 minutes. Then a few of drops were used to moisten a couple of dozen pilules on some blotting paper. The pilules are 80% lactose 20% sucrose - more O-H. A little smaller than a peppercorn. The water/alcohol evaporates. The dry pilules seem to last forever (I've some from the late nineteenth/early twentieth century which still work) and are stored in clean, dry phials.

The proper way to do it up to 200c is to use a fresh phial for each dilution. Above that, the way I did it is used because it is much quicker, and cheaper on phials. Remedies are run up to the hundred thousandth or millionth potency this way using machines.

Cheers.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.