SSN 0.00% 1.5¢ samson oil & gas limited

the geological case for hawk springs

1. OMR
    1,173 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    There has been a lot of discussion lately, especially from posters in the US concerning Samson's lease's in Hawk Springs, Goshen County, suggesting that they where not in the " zone " and basically worthless. Because of this, I decided to put together some of the data and research I have collected over the last 2.5 years and let everyone make up there own mind. Where possible I have kept it Hawk Springs specific and a lot of the longs have seen most of it already but I hope that some of you find the info helpful in settling the nerves.

The Hawk Springs project covers 18,000 net acres and is the last of what was originally a 175,000 acre joint venture between Samson and John Lockeridge's company Mountain Energy. This last parcel of land has been kept because, geologically, it is different from the surrounding area. Early studies identified what is known locally as The Goshen Hole Uplift and more recent seismic analysis confirms that a resistivity anomaly exists in this area and is bounded by 2 major structural faults. The following article is from 1987.

"The Goshen Hole uplift is a little recognized and sparsely explored feature in the northern end of the Denver-Julesburg basin. The authors believe there is excellent hydrocarbon potential on the uplift principally in Cretaceous (Hygiene, Niobrara, Wall Creek, Muddy, Dakota), Jurassic (Canyon Springs), Permian and Pennsylvanian objectives. There are diverse stratigraphic anomalies observed on seismic data in these horizons as well as numerous paleostructures. Basement tests are approximately in the 10,000 to 11,000 ft range. There are numerous subsurface shows and source beds in Paleozoic and Mesozoic horizons and oil seeps on the uplift which enhance the exploration potential of this area."

Authors: Ahlbrandt, T.S.; Groen, W.
    Publication Date: 1987 Apr 01

After reading the above, it's not hard to tell why Samson snapped these leases up for $50 an acre back in 2005. The resistivity anomaly mentioned in several presentations has been produced on a graph.Below is a cut from an early presentation,( early 2009 ) Terry already suggesting that more seismic work was needed to unlock the code.

"During 2006, the initial well in the Hawk Springs Project, London Flats #1, was drilled as the first evaluation of the Niobrara. During the drilling of this well, good mud log shows were recorded. However, upon completion of fracture stimulation, marginal fluid rates (of around 8 barrels of oil per day) were encountered. Management believes that the key to establishing an economic flow rate is therefore to determine the location of a fracture set within the extensive land holding that has been acquired. The approach that is being taken is to purchase the extensive 2D seismic data set that exists in the area, map this data and determine the regionally structural picture such that further seismic, possibly 3D, can be acquired to determine the location of a fracture set."

In 2010, Samson spent over $2million on a 3D seismic survey that covered 65 square miles and the resulting analysis and interpretation found......

Conventional targets have been mapped at
    three levels:
    - J Sand credible channel belt with several
    closed stratigraphic traps
    - 24 Permian, Leonard Formation stratigraphic
    “pods” (thought to be depositional related
    porosity features)
    - Several Pennsylvanian, Admire Formation
    structural traps.
    - Data quality is excellent and first pass
    processing has identified areas of fracturing
    - Fracture orientation is as expected

So with over 25 years of research, data gathering and analysis, land sales and planning, Samson has began it's much anticipated drilling of Hawk Springs. Defender has already produced oil and plenty of gas. Spirit of America #2 spuds any day now so what the deep traps hold should be known in about 3 weeks without delays. Terry told me that Nobel are producing 600-900 BOPD unaided from similar traps in Wattenberg Field. At this early stage, the prospects of a profitable project look good to me. Drilling Magic 38 will be crucial in proving up this play because all the lessons learned from Defender will be used to achieve a much better result than Defender. That's the theory anyway. Mother Nature might decide otherwise but that's how it goes in the oil game.

OMR

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SSN (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.