My undertanding is that the main purpose of this meeting is to...

1. 1,752 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    My undertanding is that the main purpose of this meeting is to discuss continuation or stage 2 to Kyoto Protocol.
    Stage one ends in 2012 and if you believe the mainstream science, much more significant measures and increased CO2 reduction targets are required.
    Australia was always going to be in Bali for this meeting, no matter who won the election, but under Howard since we were not signatories, we would only get observer status, meaning (IMO) we could listen to what goes on but would not have any rights to vote on any decisions or contribute to the debate.

By signing the treaty we will become full members with all the rights but also the obligations. As has been widely reported Australia is likely to meet the Kyoto targets as they were pretty generous, apparently senator Hill negotiating on behalf of Howard government managed to get us a very good deal. In the end we did not sign because US would not be in it IMO.
    I would say that it is better to be involved than not. Even if the climate change is due to other reasons, the technological development from the enviromental measures is likely to benefit mankind in the long term and reduce the polution in our major cities, hopefully soon. I only need to look on the polution deposited on the roof of my car every morning to know where do I stand.
    Brian

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.