Golly Marum, golly you're giving that drum a nasty workover. And...

1. 9,177 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 506
    Golly Marum, golly you're giving that drum a nasty workover. And a strange one at that.

so, someone like me, who accepts science, including the science coming from AGW and climate change, is a fanatic. I guess that makes meteorologists at NOAA and BoM, who measure temperature, air pressure, rainfall etc, fanatics as well.

Ditto, atmospheric scientists, physicists, programmers at NASA, who in recent days fanatically landed their spacecraft on the surface of Mars, and then started touring it.

at least, i'm in good scientific company then compared to say your average climate change deniers, who elevate their empty pseudoscience to mythical status espoused by such heroes as Andrew Bolt and Craig Kelly. Is it still fair to judge people on the company they keep Marum?

it might be worth getting up to speed on the factors affecting AGW and climate change, unless you're blinded by your own volcanic tumescence, which can't be ruled in or out.

two of my go to sources for all things climate science are NASA and NOAA, which of course weigh known knowns in their climate science and analysis, including the influence of ENSO.

to get up to speed on this please note the Following are key excerpts from a global climate report issued mid February by the National Centers for Environmental Information, which operates in NOAA. they come from an internet page ncdc.noaa.gov.

"The January 2021 global land and ocean surface temperature was 0.80°C (1.44°F) above the 20th century average and ranked as the seventh warmest January in the 142-year global records.

"January 2021 also marked the 45th consecutive January and the 433rd consecutive month with temperatures, at least nominally, above the 20th-century average.

."The year began with a La Niña episode in the tropical Pacific Ocean that started in August 2020. The El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) can affect global temperatures. La Niña tends to cool global temperatures slightly, while El Niño tends to boost global temperatures.

"With a slightly cool start to the year, there is only a 2.9% chance of 2021 ending as the warmest year on record. However, there is an over 99% chance of the year ranking among the 10 warmest years on record."

You could be drawing a long bow in suggesting the Krakatoa explosion has any impact on today's climate given that blew in 1883. But i've heard vulcans claim to know a thing or two.

(btw, having transited Sunda Strait both lengthways and crossways, i was understandably enthralled by Simon Winchester's hugely informative and entertaining book Krakatoa: The Day The World Exploded. It's a great read and i would recommend it bar for a rumour you helped write it.)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.