The govt was woeful so why did Opposition lose?, page-2

1. 28,630 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 424
    "Retirees were wondering whether franking credits would be an issue for them...."

Self-funded retirees are generally not stupid. They knew exactly what franking credits they had refunded to them in the past and what Labor's change would mean to their annual incomes. I certainly did. This issue was widely discussed and publicised and I know of no-one who was left bewildered among my friends and family. We all knew.

"Homeowners including those with sizeable mortgages were hearing negative
    gearing could devalue their main asset, and investors including some on low to
    medium income were worried about potential impacts."

At a time when house prices are already weakening, the possibility of the devaluation of "their main asset" was a strong possibility. Moreover, the cutting of cap.gain tax assessable from 50% to 25%on houses and shares held for over 12 months?
    Yes, we self-funded retirees found no difficulties at all understanding that.

There were also widespread rumours that capital losses realised over the years would be no longer able to be used against any current capital gains released and losses to be restricted to within the current financial year. Yes, We self-funded retirees found no difficulties at all in understanding that.

People smart enough to be self-funded retirees were quite able to see the bigger picture. That of an Opposition wishing to attack them on every front they could. That was very stupid of them. Not only does that particular cohort usually have the respect of our society, but the children would also have been negtively impacted.

Shorten and Labor want to tax, tax, tax, tax, tax.

Yes, we all got that.

This is why Labor was on the nose. They deserved to lose....

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.