I know that we are hoping for big things in the graphene space....

1. 113 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 30
    I know that we are hoping for big things in the graphene space. I imagine that readers have already done research in the area of the anticipated graphene market. I just did a quick Google search and it would appear to me that it may yet be a few years before graphene takes off. For instance:

The global graphene market is expected to reach USD 278.47 Million by 2020, with a growth rate of 42.8% from 2015 to 2020 (https://www.marketsandmarkets.com/PressReleases/graphene.asp).

Asia-Pacific – The fastest-growing market for graphene
    The graphene market in Asia-Pacific is projected to register the fastest growth rate in the world. This is mainly attributed to the high economic growth rate, growing manufacturing industries, cheap labor, and increasing graphene-based application patents. Also, involvement of major research institutes/universities collaborations for graphene R&D activities are few factors leading to the growth of graphene in this region in the emerging economies such as China, India, and Japan. China is the main contributor and the major source of graphite and other materials used for graphene extraction to the graphene market in Asia-Pacific. The dominance of China in the market for graphene in the region is owed to its rapidly increasing cross-industry collaborations, and major R&D activities for the commercialization and enhancement of graphene being adopted by various universities and research institutes.
    Graphene Oxide – The largest, by type market of graphene
    Graphene Oxide, also known as GO, is the largest segment of the graphene market. GO has presence of oxygen functionalities, which helps in easy dispersability in water and other organic solvents. Owing to its high electrical conductivity, GO is widely used in electronic devices, catalytic oxidation, biotechnology, and as a surfactant in industrial applications. In North America, GO is the leading segment, due to its low cost, easy production process, and availability of large manufacturing facilities as compared to other types of graphene.
    Energy – The largest application market for graphene
    The energy application is the fastest-growing segment for graphene and this trend is projected to continue in the near future due to the increasing demand of lightweight, flexible, and renewable advanced materials with long life span. In Asia-Pacific, energy is the third-largest consumer of graphene. The increasing demand of efficient energy-storage capacity materials and recovery solutions by lithium ion (Li-ion) batteries producers, and evolution of ultra-efficient solar panels, in the region are the key factors for the growth of the graphene-based energy segment in the Asia-Pacific graphene market.
    The global graphene market is a scattered and unorganized market owing to the large number of suppliers and buyers across the globe. Also, the increasing rivalry among the players to obtain majority of the patents for graphene-based applications has played a major role in intensifying the level of competition. Major players such as CVD Equipment Corporation (U.S.), Haydale Graphene Industries Plc. (U.K.) and research organizations including the University of Manchester (U.K.), and University of Waterloo (Canada) have adopted various organic and inorganic developmental strategies. These strategies majorly include merger & acquisitions, partnerships, agreements & collaborations, and product developments to achieve growth in the graphene market. They mainly focus on providing high-quality and low-cost graphene-based materials for various applications.

and then there is:

Global Graphene Market 2017 - A $1 Billion Market by 2025 (dated: November 27, 2017)

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...7---a-1-billion-market-by-2025-300561732.html

I guess if technological solutions take off that don't need years of research to be proven, like Firestop, the above "predictions" may be meaningless.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.