The Heavy Lifting

1. Dis
    3,746 Posts.
    I saw a poster in the Bust the Budget marches stating "The sick and the poor are doing too much of the heavy lifting."

I'm curious of people's views of this statement. If someone pays no tax and gets 100% of their income from welfare and also receives other government benefits like medicare, subsidised medication, subsidised utilities, etc; then which of the following statements are true:

a) That person is not doing any lifting at all, and is being carried by the rest of society.
    b) Increasing net welfare at a slower rate than previous governments' promises (but payments continue to increase / at least match inflation) is not a cut in welfare.
    c) Reducing net welfare benefits in real terms still does not mean that person is doing any of the heavy lifting. He / she is is just not carried as highly by the res of society.

Logically I would say all of the above are true. Emotionally welfare receipients / welfare advocates say differently....and half of Australian "households" pay no net tax. SO pleny of people out the to disagree with me.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.