the hen hilton ... fritata anyone, page-18

1. 8,980 Posts.
    dacs and YC, it's a little unfair to call aussies "lazy" because they don't do much of their own food preparation. It's a generalization to begin with and not all aussies are negligent in that respect. But there's a social evolution going on here also; one that has worked itself into their (our) eating habbits.
    They used to make all sorts of good use of their back yards, once once (even kill and bbq sheep!) and many still do now but life's changed a great deal since the old days. Now, you'll be lucky to be able to afford to buy a house that has even an inkling of a back yard, let alone one that is big enough for a vegie patch. The half-acre and quarter-acre blocks are very rare in the suburbs these days.
    Don't worry, I think those people who do have the available size and are struggling a bit financially, will eventually get their hands dirty, though, chooks in the burbs are a little dubious.

The pets have to eat also, so, why not give them the leftovers, when they are available?

A few years ago I was twice the size I am now -well, almost. And I ate no junk food. Just the lovely vegies we had growing here, at my mum's place, brother's place etc. Good stuff -just too much of it and not enough exercise. Just chasing kids around in the school yards, herding them into the classroom, that's all! lol. Now, less gets dumped into my gullet and I work it out a gym.

But we see two major important social changes regarding our eating habits: one is the diminution of the size of houses. They're all just huge blocks of concrete with huge bedrooms and lounge rooms and very little attention paid to the kitchen. Bugger all back yard and if there's a bit of it, it's clogged with cactii and other succulents. Not a tomato in sight! But they will learn.

The other is the diminution of the family. Little if any extended family and so the single couples simply don't see it as a worthwhile effort, particularly if they're both busy and stressed out with working commitments. Too few people to feed and so the effort of raising a vegie patch, cleaning the vegies and cooking them is just too much for them.

Pity but a whole world of skills surround these activities.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.