BTA 0.00% 57.0¢ biota holdings limited

the hidden truth behind drug company profits, page-3

1. 426 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 10
    While these are noble sentiments, I think they mis-interpreted the situation on a number of counts:
    1. H1N1 (Swine) Influenza (based on it's behaviour to date) will continue to spread throughout the world, irrespective of any restrictions on travel or other human interventions. It is a highly infectious agent with a short incubation period. Depending on factors that we don't fully understand (eg population densities, seasonal factors - will it have a more severe impact in the coming Northern hemisphere winter?) it will undoubtedly continue to spread such that virtually everyone will be exposed. Most people will get infected, some will get severely ill and hopefully very few will die.
    2. Tamiflu is not the answer as almost certainly Tamiflu resistance will become widespread as the Swine Flu pandemic evolves.
    3. There is a good probability that swine flu will become more virulent. We don't know at this stage whether this will occur or not. There are recent Hot Copper posts suggesting increased virulence in Argentina.

4. Relenza appears to be a very effective antiviral against Swine Flu and seasonal flu - with a much lower risk of resistance developing in the near future than Tamiflu.
    5. While we all hope that an effective vaccine can be produced to short-circuit the potential impact of swine flu, it is apparent that there are production issues (slow growth,need for adjuvant) that may limit implementaion. There is also the risk of genetic change making the vaccine ineffective or less effective. The ability to produce sufficient supplies of vaccine in a timely fashion is also of great concern.
    6. I believe that most Biota shareholders would be in favour of providing better access to Relenza for developing countries (as well as developed countries).
    7 Personally, I think that GSKs increasing production capacity worldwide to 190m doses is totally inadequate in light of the evolving situation.
    8. While we would all like to see our investments become profitable I think we also have a moral responsibility, based on our background understanding of the situation to say "We could do a better job for society!"
    9. I suspect that quite a number of the Hot Copper Biota supporters have a technical background in research etc and intrinsically understand more of the fundamentals of infectious diseases than they are letting on. Put forward your views more forcefully.
    10 I would propose three motions for the BIOTA AGM that:
    a. We censure GSK for totally inadequate commitment to increased production capacity for Relenza in the face of a WHO recognised pandemic and
    b. That ensuring increased production of Relenza at an affordable price to developing countries should be a prime humanitarian concern.
    c. That there should be monthly (rather than quarterly) updates by GSK/Biota on production and commitments to purchase Relenza and that this be specified by purchaser/country.

The 3rd motion would enable us to better monitor GSK/Biota's response to a fast moving situation - I think it is called transparency!

Regards
    Kangaroo1

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BTA (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.