The Japanese deserved what they got., page-34

1. 15,270 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 27
    You are quite right raider. The Japanese were also barbaric in their treatment of the Chinese most especially in Nanking in 1938 where the wilful, brutal and unprovoked atrocities against civilians were and are well - documented. It is estimated that around 300, 000 Chinese civilians were murdered in an orgy of violence. You will have no argument with me on that score.

For the record, I hold the Japanese to be a cultured and civilised people.

What happened in the period 1931- 1945 was an aberration and has numerous explanations.

My principal point though remains that in that period the Japanese were in countless ways barbaric both to prisoners of war and to civilian populations everywhere they went and that from myriad angles the atomic bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima was righteous retaliation and more than that as well as it saved so many allied lives.

Contrary to the soft- headed lamentation of those we often hear of each at this time each year, my point is to make it plain that in my own view - and I know as well in the view of others too - the atomic bombings were called upon the Japanese by themselves and they were justified.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.