It does sound absurd but it'll probably be resolved with tweaks...

1. 15,824 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 455
    It does sound absurd but it'll probably be resolved with tweaks to software in short order, though.

I'm gonna be honest, I was pretty ignorant of EVs and autonomous driving tech until my wife bought an EV, i've been borrowing it whenever I can to save cost on diesel, was spending 150 a week on fuel, now its a neglible addition to the electricity because we have solar grid feed.

The autonomous driving feature is crazy. Obviously the car tells you off if it thinks you arent making any inputs at all, but i guess it isnt much different to aircraft flying or landing by instruments, which is a commonplace occurrence we never question.

I dont think we are really gonna see driverless cars taking over in the near future because if anything the algorithms are probably too cautious and precise, which takes some of the smoothness and grace out of the experience and leads to the chaos in the OP, but the efficiency of the system is incredible when you experience how erratic most drivers are with their acceleration and deceleration, or their vehicle spacing, and your car needs to keep adjusting to compensate. Humans are good at improvisation and adaptation but they are also inconsistent, so performance deteriorates. On a half hr trip the car uses maybe 10% less energy than if i drive without the autonomous features engaged. Alot of that may be down to the fact that the other fun thing is the crazy acceleration, which, given every opportunity to overtake, i cant help but want to exploit. Timing your entries and exits is a no brainer when you can go from 0-100km/h in under 4 seconds.

They are alot of fun to drive.
    Last edited by mowibble: 19/08/24

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.