the meaning of immortality, page-10

1. 11,950 Posts.
    Mr Gordon,
    With Ecclesiastes 9:5.
    It should not be understood as a theological statement on the condition of the soul after death but rather an observations about how things appear to men on the earth “under the sun"
    -----------
    TraderP, I can see how it could be seen that way. Elsewhere in the book of Ecclesiastes it can be seen however that is not the correct understanding.
    Solomon showed humans were similar to animals.

Ecclesiastes (3:18-20) I also said in my heart about the sons of men that the true God will test them and show them that they are like animals,for there is an outcome for humans and an outcome for animals; they all have the same outcome. As the one dies, so the other dies; ...So man has no superiority over animals, for everything is futile...All are going to the same place. They all come from the dust, and they all are returning to the dust.
    Adam had been told "you will certainly die,"(Gen 2:17) was to be the consequence of disobedience. How was he to understand something he had never experienced? No doubt he had observed flowers & animals lived short lives & then die,decompose and 'return to the dust.'
    The Scriptures are consistent in teaching both man & animals are souls & are thus mortal.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.