PET 0.00% 2.5¢ phoslock environmental technologies limited

Excellent post. Thanks for your effort. Methane is also being...

1. 2,576 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2630
    Excellent post. Thanks for your effort.

Methane is also being emitted in significant quantities as a result of the thawing of the permafrost in places like Siberia. Of course it is anthropogenic global warming that is causing the rises in air temperatures in the arctic regions that is causing the permafrost to thaw and release megatons of locked in methane. To see that HAB increases are accompanying this is only to be expected because of the changes in energy flows globally. Warmer oceans lead to more growth potential for algae of all sorts, along with for instance jellyfish, all it then takes are increases in nutrients like phosphate levels running off agricultural land and into the oceans and away they go. Normally algae are food for other creatures that turn it into locked-in chemistry (i.e. meat!). After the algae has grown it dies, and the methane is a result. But if I understand it correctly algae also consume CO2 as they grow and churn out O2 in the process. Everything that happens in this sphere is a vicious circle. That is the whole point of ecological principles. When all these processes happen in balance they form part of a self-sustaining and self-regulating system. Unfortunately, in global terms, humanity is driving the earth system to provide for our burgeoning numbers and uses without taking any significant efforts to deal with the consequences. While Phoslock is an excellent immediate-term tool to remove the phosphate run-off it is not remotely feasible for us to use it to fix the global problem that the run-off indicates is the problem behind HAB. We have to stop the phosphates getting into the water at source, i.e. in the fields, just as we have to stop the global warming causes - CO2 and methane emissions from fossil fuel use and agricultural emissions. There is no shortcut around this.
    Last edited by BobF: 16/07/20

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PET (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.