SLX 1.69% $3.48 silex systems limited

I am still trying to learn what has been said about PRISM, so...

1. 20,246 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1788
    I am still trying to learn what has been said about PRISM, so please forgive me if make a mistake here or there, because what I am reading is all new to me.

have a read of this PDF, in it there are some things said by GE people that scared the hell out of me, until I realised that there was more to it.

This is the PDF and the scary bit.

http://whqr.org/post/uk-considers-ges-prism-nuclear-reactor-design.

Especially this bit by a bloke named Tom Blees who is an energy consultant and President of the Science Council for Global Initiatives, when he said-:

“Integral fast reactors avoid this whole problem because you never have to enrich uranium. And you never have to mine uranium anymore.”

But if you read the other PDF I posted yesterday by GE, it helps to gain a better insight into what GE have planned what Tom Blees meant I believe, Light Water Reactors are actually part of the PRISM plan by GE, they won't be shut down straight away, the used fuel from them is recycled back through the LWR's until they reach their use by date, that is the plan for the US,
    What Tom Blees was talking about was what would happen in the UK, they could be the first user of a PRISM reactor, and they will use all of the waste and burn it in their PRISM reactor, that is they won't be building the Advanced recycle Center on their PRISM reactor, at least not initially.
    And as Christopher White says in that PDF it will be years before GE get to build one, see this bit -:

GE Spokesman Christopher White says UK authorities will decide in the next couple of weeks which of three proposals they consider to be credible. GE is competing against two other companies with different plant designs. Even if the UK decides to further explore the PRISM design, the next step, says White, is a multi-year justification process. So any deal to build a facility is years away.

But things are starting to change in the US GE have been given money to GE to look at the PRISM reactor.
    see here -:
    http://www.elp.com/articles/2014/11/doe-picks-ge-hitachi-for-nuclear-reactor-research-program.html

A GE spokesman said that they once they had a license, they could build the PRISM reactor in about two years.

Those figures that were given to the US congress for 100 years or 900 years using PRISM were, when they just burn the whole lot of the used nuclear fuel in a PRISM reactor like the UK will do (Initially) they would get 100 years, but if they recycled the used nuclear fuel and captured the plutonium for the PRISM and recycled the RepU and enriched it so that it could again be used in a LWR would give them the 900 years because the whole process repeats itself over and over, I reckon I already know which method they will use, also something to think on is that they aren't just going to close all of the LWR reactors straight away, so they would still need fuel during their life cycle, but why wouldn't the US take all nuclear wastes from other countries and process their nuclear fuel first as well? for two reasons, they get extra fuel for nothing Plutonium for their PRISM reactors, but more importantly it helps to stop proliferation of dangerous nuclear fuel in other countries for weapons.

So the re-enrichment process will be around until the end of life for LWR's and it may mean that GLE get to reprocess the used fuel from other countries as well and return the re enriched Uranium is sent back to them for the enrichment fee, so GLE could end up being the biggest supplier of LEU in the world?

Something to ponder on!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SLX (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$3.48
Change
-0.060(1.69%)
Mkt cap ! $830.3M
Open High Low Value Volume
$3.52 $3.54 $3.47 $193.4K 55.18K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
6 3030 $3.47

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$3.48 1413 12
View Market Depth
Last trade - 11.35am 18/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
SLX (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.