the nightmare that is the greens, page-70

1. 18,337 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 178
    Vertigo

I agree with you on the general tenor of your post.

My post is simply my understanding why young people tend towards the Green sentiment and I am sympathetic, having been a bit of a revolutionary in my youth as well BEFORE I experienced the world. I believe humans (and maybe all mammals) are genetically programmed to try different approaches when young - if this were not the case we would never have change. Change and adaptablity are important qualities. (Darwin!)

Housing - big problem - we need lots more cheaper rental accommodation. We need different housing styles in areas which would be better used for food production and we need inspired architects who don't charge the earth for coming up with good ideas to wean us off the quarter-acre block.

We are living in a fast changing world and I believe the Greenies see themselves as the harbingers of such a world (even though they do have some crazy notions) and the young relate to them.

Immigration? Well, that deserves a different thread, let me just say this: I don't think the young are quite so worried about immigration. I have noticed in Europe that the younger generation simply accept those different faces and traditions as a matter of fact and get on with their lives. If we stopped making war, there would be fewer refugees. I personally do not believe in locking them up for long periods of time - I think the outcome is a bitter and twisted individual, not a contributing member to society.

Possibly we need to pay our politicians better salaries to attract professional people - and make them jump through some qualification-type hoops before even allowing them to stand for Parliament; their offerings at present are meagre.

Cheers

Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.