The PM's speech

1. 1,441 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 13
    I just heard the best speech I've heard in a long time. It was outstanding, particularly for a PM who's been under so much pressure. If you can't, or refuse to, identify with what he had to say, I feel sorry for you and I hope you emigrate soon. Here are a few quotes (AAP/IRESS).

"There is no greater responsibility on me, on the government, than keeping you safe."

"The terrorist threat is rising at home and abroad and is becoming harder to combat."

"Today's terrorism requires little more than a camera phone, a knife and a victim."

"Police do not have the luxury to watch and wait. They apply their best judgment and
    they do so fully aware that the armchair critics will find fault."

"Frankly, I'd rather lose a case than lose a life. The protection of life must always
    rank ahead of the prospects of a successful prosecution."

"For too long, we have given those who might be a threat to our country the benefit of
    the doubt."

"We will never sacrifice our freedoms in order to defend them, but we will not let our
    enemies exploit our decency either."

"If immigration and border protection faces a choice to let in, or keep out, people
    with security questions over them we should choose to keep them out."

"If there is a choice between latitude for suspects or more powers to police and
    security agencies, more often we should choose to support our agencies."

"When it comes to someone like the Martin Place murderer, people feel like we have
    been taken for mugs."

"If we can stop hate-preachers from grooming gullible young people for terrorism, we
    should."

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.