Moshe, in an egalitarian society, we are expected to regard...

1. 1,272 Posts.
    Moshe, in an egalitarian society, we are expected to regard single mothers and single parents as part of the community.

To expect a mother/parent to put themselves under stress and duress, as can happen, taking on a part time job for a few extra bucks is in my opinion unfair.

Great if you can drop your kid at school and walk to the local shop or factory and start work. Leave the factory/shop and walk back to the school and collect your precious bundle/s.

That only happens in politicians and bureaucrats heads when they decide to review welfare payments to these people.

Reality is: Drop the kid/s at 8:45 and then try to get to work for say, 9:30 or 10. If all goes to plan, you make it and the boss is happy. If the bus or train is late (it's highly unlikely that these people have a car or can afford to run it if they do) and your late, it only stands to reason the boss expects you to make the time up or he takes it off your pay.
    Can't work late 'cause you have to pick up the kid/s from school. Boss begins to regret having hired you and the relationship breaks down.

Do you see where I am coming from?
    As a parent and as all parents know, when kids start school they pick up every bug and virus going around.

Hands up all parents who have taken time off work to look after sick kids...thank you, hands down.

As atomou said, they should be means tested before welfare payments are made. Those that do need welfare should be paid in cash and coupons.

The coupons are redeemed for food and essentials, the way it used to happen. Their utilities are deducted from the cash surplus and they get the balance. Just a thought.

I might add that Costello was irresponsible in introducing a baby bonus because all those single mums out there who could have done without a baby until they were financially prepared have no doubt added pressure to the system.

So, No. I don't agree that they should have to look for part-time work if they are only $50 better off because it just ain't worth the hassle.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.