"Can you or anyone tell me why power is twice as dear as it was...

1. 14,237 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 5
    "Can you or anyone tell me why power is twice as dear as it was not so long ago."

Comparatively electricity is returning to cost levels on par with what it was years ago. We went through a period where it was cheap.
    Households can consume a lot more electricity these days though.
    Projections were made that electricity requirements would be higher than they currently are so over investment in generation occurred.
    We are now in a situation of oversupply so wholesale electricity prices are depressed.
    However there has been a big increase in the installation of air conditioners as the cost of those split systems manufactured in China have come down.

(As an aside some modern house designs involving panoramic glass windows and so on seem to become hot houses requiring airconditioning even on mild days)

Governments have mandated that the network should perform at a particular level of reliability.
    Combining the two means that we have invested in a network that reliability copes with a few days of peak electricity in a calendar year. There was also an incentive for network and distribution owners to over invest in infrastructure because of their guaranteed return on that investment.
    Add in the subsidies that all users have to pay to those that invest in solar hot water, solar panels and etc along with carbon tax.
    Just my opinion open to correction.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.