the salvos

1. 8,527 Posts.
    The Salvos appeal letter just in - for Australian Anti-Poverty week -

The author says -

"In more than 30 years of Salvos service, I've never seen such hurting in the community"

2705 surveyed Salvos clients said earlier this year -

One in four said they could not afford one decent lea a day (28%)

More than a quarter told us the can't provide a safe home for their children (28%)

One in three can't afford to buy the medicine prescribed by their doctor (35%)

For most of these people, it's no fault of their own. There's been sickness in the family, loss of work, an accident, a family breakdown - any number of reasons.

What these statistics don't show is that it's not just poverty of the body that drives people to the edge. It's also poverty of the heart. We often hear from clients that they feel completely isolated and alone. They've used up every favour the can from family. They can't remember the last time they'd been out with friends. Teir children can't even go to birthday parties because they have no money for presents."

This makes ME ask - what sort of society ARE we living in? Who has been managing it? And we - in pursuit here of yet more enrichment - are we thinking of others - instead of, constantly - our own daily (hopeful) enrichment?

A school principal relative of mine tells me that, regarding their small school, there is a 50% separation and divorce rate at that school amongst it's parents - and this in a very middle class more well of area.

I'm not asking for donations per se.

I'm asking - where is our society going. Assuming these Salvos observations and stats. And WHY are we (at this moment in time in Australia) in the worst position we've been in, community wise - national wellbeing wise, financially wise - in the last 30 years?

Is the "me, myself and I" (or my family's OK, Jack) mental slot, now our pervasive mentality, and morality?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.