IRN 0.00% 29.5¢ indophil resources nl

the sell-off and the murder.

1. 12,826 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    ....Timing of the sell-off....

It seems some posters expect that the "who, what, where" details of a shooting in Davao should be known in Sydney as soon as the shells hit the ground. Firstly, there is a couple of hour's difference in time zones. It was about lunch time (local time) that the details began circulating through the local mining and media community and the sell-off in Sydney began at a similar time. The news hit the online publications and TV just a few hours later.

IMO, to out-rightly suggest that the massive sell-off on Friday could not be related to the murder is lacking some consideration and plausibility.

....Potential implications of the murder....

IMO, the tragic shooting was a risky but well calculated event.

To get this $6B show up and running a large, skilled and effective management team is needed. SMI have already stated that they are having trouble obtaining quality staff, not least of all because of perceived security risks. Furthermore, they are currently undertaking a large recruitment drive.

Taking the assumption that the NPA are responsible for the murder, I suggest that it was a risky operation. Why? Because under the unwritten "rules of engagement" Davao City limits are a no-go-zone for military and political crimes. In return for a peaceful city, the city administration allows rebels free travel within the city (much to the ire of the local police who are restricted from arresting known criminals). Accordingly, I don't expect that the NPA will claim responsibility for the murder.

But whether the NPA and its motives are responsible is somewhat irrelevant, as the perspectives are what count. However, I state that the murder was calculated to have maximum impact because in the minds of potential employees it established that:

1. You can be killed even if you are a good family guy with a history of supporting development opportunities to aid the poor. I.e. all SMI administrators are targets.

2. You can be killed where you presumed you were safe. I.e. in suburban Davao.

3. You can be killed instantly in cold blood. I.e. without being kidnapped to a kangaroo-court trial, but rather, have your blood and brains splattered all over your wife, who will suffer hence-forth.

Anyone up for a job?

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add IRN (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.