Yes, life and health are quite the puzzle, Scoto. I'm your age,...

1. 11,189 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2057
    Yes, life and health are quite the puzzle, Scoto. I'm your age, give or take, and a chain smoker of unfiltered hand rolled cheroots since the age of 14. That's an 80 per day habit eek.png over 56 years. I recently had my once a decade physical, full blood works and all that jazz. Results came in and I fronted my doctor expecting to hear the worst and a lecture on the evils of smoking (which is true enough of the latter and I don't deny it). Instead, he said, and I quote: "S, you have the results comparable to a 17 year old boy and I could only dream of receiving such results." Said doctor is 10 years my junior.
    Meanwhile, for some years now I've been getting calls, almost on a month basis, about some friend or acquaintance that has died - mostly non-smokers, but partial to the booze. I have been tea total all my life.
    And then there was my grandfather, a chain smoker like me, but never seen sober. He died aged 98. Life is quite the lottery of genetics.

That aside, I remember posting here on HC 3 years ago and since, that the Pigouvian tax on tobacco would spawn a new crime wave of illegal imports and cartel violence. It was a no brainer outcome. No doubt the tax was a thought bubble from an anti-smoking politician/public servant blind to the criminal ramifications.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.