the un gives hypocrisy a bad name, page-3

1. 374 Posts.
    Snooker, as usual you post the same old negative stuff and miss the point completely.
    So as long as you post the same old stuff so will I...

The UN seems to be the best agglomeration of countries of the world organised into some sort of structure that we have, as well of course as being the only one. That said, what is your suggestion? Do you believe that it is better to disband the UN completely? If then, what happens? Surely the biggest, most powerful country in the world becomes the world policeman.

Nice for us because we're all White Westerners? Perhaps, for a while but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that that just doesn't work. At least it hasn't in the history of mankind so far...

So, what to do? I guess the answer must be try to make it better. The question is how do we make it better? In short, I have no idea. How does one overcome the primacy of self interest of one country over all others? All countries of the world are guilty of it. You'll note that Australia abstained from voting in the election of Libya to head The Human Rights Commission instead of voting against. Why? Clearly it was so that they could be sure to get their vice presidency. Moral? Just as Australia refuses to sign the child slavery bill or Kyoto? Sensible, moral? Of course not. John Howard does not have a moral bone in his body. We are far from being without sin in this as are pretty much all nations of the world...

So, what do we do? One thing I think we need to be very careful about doing is undermining the UN. I do think that some countries are actively seeking to have the UN disbanded by undermining its power. You don't need to be Einstein to figure out which those countries are. (Hint: it's the ones that rail most against the umpire's decision) ( As I've said above, I think this would be disasterous. You have only to look back at all that the UN and its subunits (UNICEF etc) have achieved to consider a world without it.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.