AKE 0.00% $9.83 allkem limited

Given the season, I think we'd do well to check our privilege...

1. 38 Posts.
    Given the season, I think we'd do well to check our privilege and our greed for a moment, and come at this with some compassion for people living in conditions all of us would find hard to imagine.
    I've invested in Ore because a) I like the lithium story and b) I am very concerned about climate change and see lithium as playing a key role in solving it. Were the latter not the case, I would never invest in a mining enterprise. The mining sector is notorious for pillaging remote regions and leaving poor local people to pick up the pieces. Canadian companies are some of the worst at this; Australian companies are hardly better.
    I know Ore is no social enterprise, but they are pulling resources out of an impoverished community and they should be doing a lot more than simply paying taxes and doling out a few thousand dollars each year. If Ore was going above an beyond the minimum CSR, they would be proud to say so; instead they refuse to comment.
    I know many will disagree, but I think communities should be put before the interests of shareholders, and I for one, am happy to see them flourish, not simply 'benefit', before I take my profits. Going above and beyond expectations is not simply a moral act; it is good for business in an area of the world where uncertainty is a real risk. I'd rather have the community as staunch supporters on our side, instead of a source of simmering discontent.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AKE (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.