Hi Brucey - I have read George Orwell many moons ago and thought...

1. 17,834 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 145
    Hi Brucey - I have read George Orwell many moons ago and thought then: 'yes, it's possible, but our gut instincts will save us' I have just read a lengthy review of 'The Circle' and I am afraid a TV series is not far off ..... God save us from that, please. It sounds like a cautionary tale and, possibly boring.

One critical commentator to the review of 'The Circle' said the following and I quote:

"I hope this movie will make a lot of people aware that you have to take measures to protect your privacy. First get a good VPN like NordVPN or Cryptostorm. Install a privacy friendly browser like Brave, that automatically blocks ads and trackers. And last, use a search engine that doesn’t track you, like Startpage.com or Ixquick."

My question: has anyone reading this, any experience with these programs, browsers, search engines?

re: tribalism: I firmly believe it will be the hardest thing to overcome and overcome we must, because if we don't, it will destroy us. I also believe one needs to succumb first to some sort of indoctrination (in most people's lives it would be of a religious nature) or maybe two sorts (in my case it was two extreme ideologies, firstly the Catholic Church and secondly membership in a rather extreme youth group where mild forms of public shaming etc. were practiced) my belief in the first vanished slowly, beginning with when as a 10-year old I tried to incant the 'devil' and he made no appearance, the other 'belief' lasted exactly half a year, but both influenced my values. Plus I experienced the 'lived' history of my parents, who went through the pre-cursor to (a right-wing and religious dictatorship) and the extreme poverty before that and the actual experience of Nazi Germany and WW2.

Our present generation of young and just younger people has not had most of those experiences, but to a certain extent their inter-action with the Internet, Facebook etc. gives a weak hint of what is possible. I hope it is enough. Last night I went to a good-by party for a young person (relative of mine) and the young people present did sneak the odd look at their mobile phones, but essentially were a happy crowd of young people chatting away and having a good time and just generally being well informed. I believe in them, their education, their humanitarian values; they are not too different from my generation, which was anti-war, pro-humanitarian, maybe 'leftist' in your parlance, but 'leftist' as a reaction to the fascist and destructive government their parents experienced.

Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.