the welfare mentality

1. 10,397 Posts.
    My niece works in a bank in Logan, south of Brisbane. Some unkind Brisbaneites call the place Bogan.

She tells us it is not uncommon on pension/welfare/pay day - whatever you call it, there is a rush down to the bank by welfare recipients to withdraw cash and they get irate if their - what they call - "pay", hasn't been deposited by the government.

'PAY" Hmmm.

Some may call it a sense of entitlement - well most,really. Maybe grocery vouchers might be a better alternative; or making them queue at Centrelink every Thursday.

The number of people on welfare has increased exponentially over past decades. Some are truly dependent on it, but a vast number are not and abuse it.

A neighbour three doors down is on a Disability Support Pension. He's maybe 40. Built like an All Black second rower. Goes to the gym every morning for an hour and works out on weights. He's big. Over the past 2 years he built a house - I mean physically built a house on his own. Two levels, 5 bedrooms, 8 bathrooms. It's massive. Doesn't go to work - I guess because he can't if he's on a DSP.

Is this the way of the future? Some work to support many who won't - as opposed to can't?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.