The women's Olympics, page-170

1. 18,261 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325
    in the sense that it is broadly classified as intersex because there is a mismatch between chromosomes and presenting sexual organs. As I understand it intersex includes and of the following anomalies

swyer syndrome - xx chromosomes, non functional sexual organs, no masculine sexual organs

mosaic chromosomes - mixed xy and xx across different cells

both make and female sexual organs

vestigial sexual organs of both but one clearly predominates

a mismatch between external presenting organs and internal organs

xxy chromosomal patterns

so it is a term for a complex and highly variable set of conditions

so i guess when I commented earlier they were not intersex I should have been more specific but I think what is relevant in this case is that the boxer was inevitably going to be bought up as female because that’s what they clearly looked like.

it would probably have only been at puberty that it would be clearly something unusual was happening / and you can see in the images they have no breasts.

it’s unfortunate I think because it shows how complex sexuality is but also opens the conversation about male physique, musculature and strength in elite sports

I feel different about this case because of the situation from how I feel about trans - especially if they make the transition post puberty

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.