BUD 0.00% 0.6¢ buddy technologies ltd

The Year Ahead

1. 5,592 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2775
    When we look to the future from the perspective of where we have come from, oftentimes the way ahead can appear uncertain. We ask ourselves, what will it look like when I get there? How can I be sure? What must I do to get there?

We reach conclusions based on what we know. From there, decisions. The environment  changes as we pass along the road. Much of what we imagined happens. Much does not. Unforeseen influences emerge. Expectations evolve. We adjust to meet the challenge. One thing we know for certain is that nothing stays the same. There is no certainty. We grow. Become better people. Hopefully prosper.

With that in mind, I reached out to Dave on a couple of matters pertaining to Buddy that I know we are thinking about and all looking forward to. As always, Dave was happy to engage, insightfully, so I thought.

So, Dave, with many thanks for last year, and for what's to come.

Hi Writer:

Great to hear from you, and Merry Christmas to you and your family! Apologies for the delay, I’ve just returned yesterday from China and Taiwan where I squeezed in one last biz trip for the year.

As for Telstra and the global deal we disclosed in November, all I can say is that while paperwork is taking its’ time, we’re moving forward on both counts regardless. We disclosed that we’d be kicking off sales training for Telstra this month – and several of those sessions have occurred. Sales opportunities are being lined up for once all the required steps to sell through Telstra (security checks, device certifications, legal paperwork, etc…) are concluded. Put it this way – even if we’d executed the legal agreement with Telstra already, all this other work has to happen in parallel anyhow (and it is) so we’d really be no further advanced than we are. Put yet another way – all the wheels are turning, and I’m not losing a second’s worth of sleep over that deal.

I can share less about the global opportunity for fear of saying more than I should, but suffice to say that 1) my previously disclosed confidence level has not declined – in fact it is up, 2) parallel efforts and wheels are turning there too (like Telstra), and 3) I am also losing zero sleep over that deal.

It's curious to me that HC investors tend to take such a religious view of timeframes. Any insto or professional investor would recognize that a deal with either Telstra or especially a global opportunity, would be a very significant and likely complex deal to put in place – and “imminent” in that context could easily mean 8-10 weeks (we began talking with Telstra in May). This would be particularly true when speaking of timeframes that include Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s. In short – nobody with professional eyes on the business is even the slightest bit concerned as to those deals, or more importantly, the amount of work we have on our plate.

To be blunt – and I’m in NO WAY saying this is the case – but if neither of those deals were on our plate, our 2018 plate would still be overflowing. People sometimes forget that we’re only a 36 person entity, and just the US distribution deal alone could fully occupy our team for 2018. Add on Latin America/Digicel, Canada, UK and deals in AU and we not only have to grow our team, but execute with perfection in 2018. It’s a massive challenge, but we’re up for it.

So anyhow – please don’t concern yourself as to when certain deals that we had to disclose earlier than we would have liked, will close. There is no risk to our deployment, operational or fiscal plans from ink not hitting paper on those two particular deals this week, next or next month. They of course, remain “imminent”

Have a wonderful Christmas and a very happy New Year. I’ll be in Australia having a bit of family time, returning to the US just after New Year’s Eve.

Cheers, Dave.

One observation I will make based on Dave's circumspect comments about the global opportunity - I don't think it will be Ingram Micro. If it were, they have the legal/security/compliance documentary template in place with Canada/US. It would not be such a big deal to replicate. On that basis, I think it is some other entity. To be honest, I don't much mind, but if it is someone other than IM, it could well be a nice unforeseen surprise to the upside, especially if accompanied with some guidance on the size and timing of the opportunity, and how we will get there.

China? Hmmm.

Best of luck to all.
    Last edited by writer: 01/01/18

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BUD (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.