There is NO Climate Emergency - 1,600 Scientists, page-378

1. 16,916 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8386
    what have you got against Indonesia? they'll change again and hopefully for the better.

First it's ad hominem slur from you, now it's a *** construct.

The issue I have with Indonesian coal has nothing to do with something I have got against Indonesia.

You are clearly uninformed not only about the in-situ environmental impact of the Indonesian coal industry - not just a the mine site, but also along the in-country logistics chain, but also the vastly inferior physical and thermodynamic characteristics of Indonesian coal.

Case in point, not even considering the raping of the Kalimantan jungle and the flushing of discards down rivers,
    Indonesian coals are aggressively methane-emitting.

Screenshot 2024-07-17 184821.png

Second, all Indonesian coal also has to be barged then transhipped at ports; hundreds of barge movements take place daily, with many incidents of barge mishaps:

Screenshot 2024-07-17 194959.png

And, to maximise capacity, barges are always very fully laden, meaning that whenever there is an incident, large volumes of coal end up in rivers and the sea:

Screenshot 2024-07-17 195301.png

Screenshot 2024-07-17 195231.png

Somewhat of a different environmental proposition compared to the environmental impacts of rail transported coal from the Hunter Valley in NSW and the Bowen Basin in Queensland.

And then finally, the most important distinguished factor of Indonesian coal compared to Australian is the vastly inferior calorific value of Indonesian coals (typically ~4,200 kcal/kg, GAR) compared to 6,200 kcal/kg, GAR for Australian thermal coal.

In other words, to get the same energy output, power stations need to burn 50% more tonnes of Indonesian coal than Australian coal. So, 50% more COx, SOx, NOx and other pollutants for each tonne of Indonesian coal that displaces Australian coal in the market.

Now that you have been appraised of the relevant facts, answer this simple question:

In order to satisfy global demand for coal, which is less harmful for the planet? Coal sourced from:

A. Indonesia?

or

B. Australia?

Just a simple A. or B. answer is needed.

(I'll wager London to a brick it won't be either; instead it will be another *** construct, deflection and what-about-ism.)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.