There won't be any confirmation hearings., page-2

1. Osi
    15,901 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 201

The two most likely candidates are Amy Barrett and Barbara Lagoa.

Both are eminently qualified with Barrett being essentially prequalified by Congress already.

After looking at the track record of both neither would be likely to operate as a Trump flunky. Both adopt a structured and technical approach to legal analysis which means they don't simply promote personal their own personal opinions.

Barrett has written papers on what constitutes super precedents and while excluding Roe v Wade from that list noted that the court would not probably overturn Rowe v Wade in its entirety. Both ladies are practicing Catholics but let’s leave Roe v Wade for another discussion.

I don't believe that either nominee would nullify votes that can't be counted on or after 3 November because both would prioritise the orderly conduct of elections under the Constitution. Both would I believe require actual evidence of massive postal vote fraud before nullifying the postal votes. Both would carefully consider such evidence. This wouldn't happen overnight. SCOTUS would work to a 20 January deadline.

What does Biden's centre right / centre left support base think of the 2 leading nominees? My guess is that most would be neutral because the nominees don't come over as alt-right.

So in a nutshell Trump may have been twisted into picking well qualified nominees from the centre right with a view to appealing to potential Biden voters.

Both the far left and the alt right could be unhappy but should anyone else care?

Last edited by Osi: 25/09/20

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.