and look at this where all the kids will lose their jobs after...

1. 17,117 Posts.
    and look at this where all the kids will lose their jobs after school....

The Rudd Government seems to think it?s better for workers to have ?rights? than a job. We last week had this;

WORKPLACE Relations Minister Julia Gillard yesterday boasted workers were better off under Labor despite the sacking of six teenagers because the government?s new laws won?t let them work shifts under three hours. Ms Gillard said that under the Fair Work Act, workers would not be disadvantaged since their take-home pay was guaranteed and they had improved rights.

And now newsagent Mark Fletcher says newsagencies are also being forced to sack students doing after-hours work:

Students are a valuable labour force for newsagents. Newsagencies have been a valuable learning and income opportunity for students. The Fair Work Act is changing that thanks to the minimum hours provisions.

Consider the case of ?Nick?. For three years he has worked three nights a week, after school, for between and hour and a half and two hours. The newsagency was on the way home. He was happy with the work and the award wage he was paid. Now, under the new provisions, he will have to be let go since he cannot be given the minimum hours as the business closes at 6pm and he cannot get there before 4:15pm.

This story is not unique. I have heard from at least twenty-five newsagents of with similar stories, especially in high-street and regional situations. I?d estimate that more than two-thirds of newsagencies employ students for short hours. While it is hard to give a number of students affected without surveying all newsagents, I?d estimate that more than 15,000 students would be affected

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.