Thoughts from the garden, page-4

1. 1,317 Posts.
    Not a bleeding heart by any means, we are lucky to have what we have but sharing the bounty doesn't necessarily help. There are countries out there with enormous resources but who remain basket cases, Argentina and Nigeria spring readily to mind. Being a success as a country has a lot to do with the people and their culture. Look at what Singapore and Korea have done with virtually no resources other than human ones. When I lived in Chile for a while, certainly the best lof the Latins in terms of political stability and economic performance, there were people there who still asked what more they could have made of their country if only they had been colonised by the British!!!
    The thing that sets us apart is egalitarianism, the support of the concept of a fair go for all, and a willingness to help other less fortunate than ourselves. Don't see much of that around the world these days.

I share your thoughts about Bali, innocent young lives snuffed out needlessly. It hurts us all to see the pain and suffering. The trouble is I supect we are going to see more of the same as a result of Huntington's (?) "Clash of Civilisations". I remember how his thesis was poo pooed at the time. Looks like he wil have the last laugh. JBC

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.