Yesterday I joined in the protest march in Albury against the...

1. 47,321 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Yesterday I joined in the protest march in Albury against the closures of up to 150 remote Aboriginal communities flagged for WA.

"... Tens of thousands of Australians have taken part in protests throughout the country in a fight against the forced closure of Aboriginal communities in Western Australia, with some continuing into Friday night. ..."
    http://www.theguardian.com/australi...ests-against-wa-indigenous-community-closures

"... Last year, WA Premier Colin Barnett said the State Government could no longer continue to service remote communities.
    The Commonwealth provided funding for about two-thirds of the state's Aboriginal settlements with the WA Government funding the balance. But the Commonwealth has withdrawn its funding, and is handing over responsibility to the State Government over the next two years.
    As a result, Mr Barnett warned that between 100 and 150 of the 274 remote communities would be forced to close.
    On Friday, the Premier could not say how many communities would be shut down. ..."
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-...ssible-closures-of-remote-communities/6437046

At the Albury rally I spoke with many Aborigines who participated. I heard directly from them just how outraged and offended they are about the behaviour of both WA's Coalition Government and that of Tony Abbott.

Aborigines commented that they feel betrayed because what Abbott said he would do before the 2013 Election is almost opposite to what he has done since. They were especially incensed at Abbott's comment that governments cannot afford to subsidise "lifestyle choices" and viewed that as an attack on their very identity, their culture and their history.

I was distressed to see that many of the Aborigines present felt they had to dress, chant and play music as traditional Aborigines for the protest march just to remind other Australians of their culture.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.