Thousands protest closures of Aboriginal communities, page-53

1. 47,611 Posts.
    Lapdog as a former educator see this excerpt from a Bolt article which you wouldn't normally read I presume;

"If you are an Aboriginal child in a remote part of the Northern Territory, chances are you’re struggling with your education and behind on at least one early development indicator before you start school.
    By Year 3, you will be behind not just most other children, but a full two years behind most other Aboriginal children living in similarly remote places elsewhere in the country. By Year 9, the gap will be five years.
    If you’re lucky, you’ll manage to join the 10 per cent of kids living outside Alice Springs, Katherine and Darwin who achieve minimal standards for NAPLAN literacy. At least half of your friends will have stopped going to school by aged 14, if they ever enrolled.
    You will be one of about 800 remote kids annually who could complete Year 12, but unless you have access to a larger town, you’ll have to overcome enormous obstacles to become one of the roughly 24 who actually do.
    These are some of the devastating findings of a review indigenous education that the Northern Territory government is trying to address with a new 10-year strategy for indigenous education entitled Share in the Future…
    Local member for the seat of Arafura, Francis Xavier Kurrupuwu, whose electorate covers parts of Arnhem Land and the Tiwi Islands, blamed “community issues.”
    “I think the kids are not getting the support from parents at the moment. I’m sad to hear and see what’s happening in the community,” he said."

Look at those shocking stats, and then come on this forum and tell me that you honestly support kids growing up in these remote places, and missing out on a chance to get an education.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.