At least he's not at Sarah Island South West of Tasmania which I...

1. 72,058 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 139
    At least he's not at Sarah Island South West of Tasmania which I have been researching...a penal settlement in Macquarie Harbour which convicts were sent to before Port Arthur renowned for its use of the cat-o' nine tails and the indigenous thought they were persecuted when colonialists arrived. Convicts were worth their weight in gold from sweat, torture, tears and blood...the irony of it all is that I pay premium prices to have hot women beat me with these things now...lol

Occasional severity in the army is undoubtedly necessary for the sake of subordination, but that method should be adopted which, at the same time that it gives pain, is attended with least danger. The instrument with which the punishment is inflicted, is vulgarly called aCat-o’ nine-tails, probably from the number of cords that were originally attached to one handle; at present the number is usually six. One hundred lashes given with this instrument, with regard to injury done to the skin and muscular fibres, is therefore equal to six hundred given with a single cord; but the degree of absolute pain is not in the same ratio, for a single cord would give nearly the same pain, and would be attended with less injury to the parts. We therefore do not hesitate to give our opinion, that the punishment ought to be inflicted with a single cord, and that no man should be sentenced to receive more stripes than there is a probability of his being able to bear at once.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/6369/6369425-38f4310b62e460e6506e2e6fb3d0e882.jpg

Last edited by Goblin: Yesterday, 20:41

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.