By moving on, that may mean from this mortal coil for some of...

1. 16,402 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7961
    By moving on, that may mean from this mortal coil for some of them, their grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, work colleagues and many they’ll never know.
    After 100’s of years and possibly 20 or so generations, western democracies are unravelling because a few precious princesses can’t suck up a bit of temporary austerity for national and global good.
    Too soft, too spoilt, too undisciplined, too righteous and sadly too dumb to succeed is all our western democracies have become.

@poyndexter,

I like nothing more to stop and talk to people; people from all walks of life.

The people who I find are least impacted by the events of the past 4 months are people with money.
    Sure, they are "inconvenienced" by it, but they continue their lives with no less financial security than before.
    (In fact - and here is the perverse irony - some of the smart ones I know are in even better financial position today thanks to their financial literacy and investment smarts, than they were at the beginning of the year!)

The people I find to be to be openly anxious and afraid are the ones who live from hand-to-mouth and from paycheck-to-paycheck.

I wouldn't call those people soft, spoilt, righteous, or too dumb to succeed.
    The exact opposite: they are modest, nuggety and hard-working.

But they are - self-evidently - very scared of losing their livelihoods - either their jobs or their businesses into which in many cases all their family capital (apart from the family home) has been invested.

They know that the only thing keeping them from anxiety and despair is the federal government which is throwing $250bn at the problem in the hope that people might ignore it or might pretend it 's going to magically go away.

But everyone knows that at some stage the spigot will have to be turned off: what then, is what they ask?

My general observations are that the bourgeois bohemian class want a full lockdown, the conservative rich only start to care either way when it means they can't go to restaurants and to stay at nice AirBnB's in the country, but the working classes are overwhelmingly the ones who I find expressing the most concerns that we now have a zombie economy with thousands of zombie companies which are "employing" hundreds of thousands of employees, but which is going to come to a head at some point in the not-too-distant future.

It's not that people are soft or spoilt or lack discipline; instead, it's that they aren't dumb.
    They can see what the end game looks like for them and their families under the current strategies.

And it causes them grave concern and distress.

Understandably so, from any reasonable and objective standpoint.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.