tiger woods, page-16

1. 12,609 Posts.
    No doubt Woods is a "great" golfer, but the trivial use of the expression "great man" in today's society leaves me feeling slightly ill.

I'm sure Woods gives a small percentage of his earnings to charity, and I'm sure he uses his position to help raise money for charities etc, but for mine, that alone doesn't make him a great man. If you ask me, any decent human being would do that.

The "great" people that I've met in my life are much more 'giving' than that, and I'm sorry, but it irks and irritates me to hear media twits constantly referring to sports 'stars' as "the great man". Nothing rams home the triviality of the use of the expression more than when I hear rugby league commentators referring to some ex-stars who are known to have been drug takers as the "great man".

Give us a break please.

Woods may be a "great man".......To be honest, I don't know enough about him to know whether he is deserving of that title. But if we're talking purely about his golfing achievements then please use the expression "great golfer". Surely being able to hit a white ball better than anyone on the planet doesn't mean someone is "great".

There are plenty of great people around, including the little old lady up the road who has spent her entire life 'giving', despite the fact that she has little of her own. Please don't belittle their achievements by bestowing the word loosely on people the media tells us are 'great'.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.