Was one of the Crowd yesterday ( Saturday ) . I have been...

1. 3,795 Posts.
    Was one of the Crowd yesterday ( Saturday ) . I have been hanging around Golf tornaments since I was 10 years old ( Im 48 ) and the crowds were quite spectcular . Was intersting to speak to the people , so many many from interstate which is really so very rare ..particularly NSW , based on my relative small samples .

Im also on Chalmers , and my pumped when he made 3 down nine ..did make a couple of really poor swings over the back 9 holes however , I felt he was the logical bet at good odds ..hes certainly the kind of guy who could get up .

Tiger may well win , but I have the field against him , with Chalmers my best return . I always felt that Tiger would not hold a great advantage to the field at Kingston Heath , his length does not really allow him many extra opportunities .

The really intersting part was sitting in the grand stand at the nesr of the 9th ( usual 6 th Hole ) ..Man if you were above the hole there it was beyond slick ! The design of the hole Originaly was around approach shots with long Irons and fairway woods , you sort of tryed to get around that front edge and make 4 , these guys are bombing it down there ..but there were few threes .

Its a great event for Melbourne and Its great Tiger put us on his list . But my memories of Kerry Packer bringing pretty much the whole US tour , and some noted europeans to Australian Open in 77/ 78 in a bid to make the Aussie Open the 5th Major .. I believe these two years were a far superior event wise , because this event is just based around one individual , it makes things incredibly difficult ..But this is the power of the " Tiger " machine , and lets be honest ..look at what he has done for the game , and a quite incredible Role Model for the Kids .

A bit different to my days as a kid caddying in the Wills Masters , Chryler Classic , Aussie Masters ..When they used to come around with the promo teams and give a 14 year old caddy a packet of smokes ! ..lol lol

Unfortunately , as usual in this coutry we have gone crazy with Rules , no Cans allowed ..yet when you walk to the bar ..What beer can you buy ? ' of course ..only Coopers in a can " , yet my 7 can of coke zero were taken from at the Gate ..Then " no cameras " , like they still go Click ?? Flash ?? ..Crazy nonsense .

Then telling people on Radio ..If you dont have a ticket , dont come anywhere near the event ! Why ? who says ? ..overcome with rules .

I love golf , its been a core part of my life , It has given me massive " highs " ..and really " low " ..lows . But in honesty its a poor spectator sport , and we really need to lighten up a little and be a bit more accomodating , and this is a major problem . I remember when in the Crysler Classic when they first brought in the idea of Roping off fairways , this makes things terrible for the spectator .

Norman , was one of the few players who used to send over his Caddy ..ON PRACTISE DAYS , to tell you to get behind the ropes , and of course we deliberately ignored all this .

An interesting conclusion today ..and for me ..Anybody outside of Tiger ..But would love it to be Chalmers for the " lefties " everywhere ! Go Greg ..pull it all together .

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.