Officials were not even aware that Tiger had done anything wrong...

1. 22,698 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7
    Officials were not even aware that Tiger had done anything wrong until the next morning. And the whole argument is over him not putting in the correct card. Surely, this is the most common sense approach, regardless of it being Tiger.

This "discretional power" rule was introduced two years ago and this is a perfect example of why it was brought in.

Augusta officials consulted with golf's governing body and they all agreed it was the right decision.

Traditionalists are crying foul saying this rule lies at the heart of golf and its integrity. I ask those "traditionalists", in most of the 1900's, how often would have a "viewer" been able to see an interview with a player and call Augusta officials to notify them of the indiscretion that officials missed.

The "viewer" probably watched an interview on their cable tv, then googled "Augusta National" on their smart phone, was asked to leave a message on the answering machine, so instead decided to tweet officials or send a text message to a registered hotline.

Imagine the outcry had Tiger been disqualified. Had there not been this "discretionary rule", I am sure it would have been brought in to prevent something stupid happening again.

I think all things considered, it is good to see golf move with the times and in this case, common sense prevailed.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.